Our work

MissionLying at the interface of major Neolithic and Bronze Age cultures, our work examines the strategic role of this site.  Read more>
Our TeamWe bring together a range of specialisms from Universities across Europe to support our fieldwork program. Read more>
Supporting institutionsThe work at Idjos is supported by academic and state institutions and funding bodies. Learn more>
Results We are developing a comprehensive digital data management and dissemination system and publication program. Learn more>

History of Research

Image 01

The site is located about 7 km north-west of Kikinda, on the edge of the village Iđoš.

The first excavation was conducted in 1913 by Julius Nagy. Part of the assemblage discovered then is in the National Museum Zrenjanin. Three decades later, in 1947, the site was noted by archaeologist amateur Luka Nadlački in liaison with M. Grbić (Grbić 1950: 113-118) and again in 1948 (Grbić 1951: 133-138). His results confirmed the existence of Neolithic and Bronze age material and a small amount of medieval pottery. Luka Nadlački excavated the site to a lesser extent in 1954. Those excavations were published by M. Girić in Journal of Vojvodina Museum 6 (Girić 1957: 219-229). The most important finding of this excavation was a house in which the mixed material of Tisza and Vinča culture occurred together. During 1972, small rescue excavations were carried out. Four trenches were established from which a large quantity of pottery and animal bones, traces of buildings and structures were noted. The location of these earlier trenches was poorly documented and they have not been found. Publication has been limited to the brief reports mentioned above, which were necessarily general and presented no systematic publication of trenches or finds recovered. The archives from these works are also very partial, so that our new campaign will provide the first detailed exploration and publication of this key site.